Avios is a reward currency used by several airline loyalty programs, notably British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Plus, and Aer Lingus AerClub. Avios can be earned through various activities, and they can be redeemed for flights, upgrades, hotel stays, car rentals, and other travel-related expenses.
Here’s an overview of how to collect Avios:
- One of the primary ways to collect Avios is by booking and flying on eligible flights with partner airlines. The number of Avios earned is generally based on factors like the airline, booking class, and distance flown.
- Credit Card Spending:
- Many airline loyalty programs, including those using Avios, have co-branded credit cards. By using these credit cards for your everyday spending, you can accumulate Avios for each purchase.
- Hotels and Accommodations:
- Avios can be earned by booking hotel stays through partner programs or by converting hotel loyalty points into Avios.
- Car Rentals:
- Some car rental companies have partnerships with Avios programs, allowing you to earn Avios for renting a car.
- Shopping and Retail Partners:
- Many loyalty programs have partnerships with various retailers. By shopping with these partners, you can earn Avios for your purchases.
- Dining Programs:
- Some loyalty programs offer dining programs where you can earn Avios for dining at participating restaurants.
- Online Shopping Portals:
- Avios programs often have online shopping portals. By accessing these portals before making online purchases, you can earn additional Avios for your spending.
- Transferring Points:
- Some credit card rewards programs allow you to transfer points to Avios at a specific conversion rate. This is another way to boost your Avios balance.
- Promotions and Bonus Offers:
- Keep an eye out for promotions and bonus offers. Airlines occasionally run promotions that allow you to earn extra Avios for specific activities or during certain periods.
- Refer-a-Friend Programs:
- Some loyalty programs have refer-a-friend programs where you can earn bonus Avios for referring new members.
It’s important to note that the earning rates and opportunities can vary between different Avios programs and their partner airlines. Always check the terms and conditions of the specific program you are participating in to understand how Avios are earned and redeemed. Additionally, be aware of expiration policies, as Avios often have a validity period.
Here are some common ways you can use your Avios:
- Flight Redemptions:
- Flights: Avios can be used to book flights on the airline’s network, as well as on its partner airlines within the same alliance. The number of Avios required for a flight depends on factors like the distance, class of service, and whether it’s peak or off-peak travel.
- Upgrades: You can use Avios to upgrade your booked flights to a higher class of service (e.g., from Economy to Business Class).
- Hotel Stays:
- Avios can often be used to book hotel stays through partner programs. Check the loyalty program’s website for participating hotels and the Avios required.
- Car Rentals:
- Some car rental partners allow you to use Avios to cover the cost of renting a car. This can be done through the loyalty program’s website.
- Experiences and Activities:
- Some Avios programs offer the option to use your points for unique experiences, such as tours, activities, or special events. Check the program’s website for available options.
- Shopping and Retail Purchases:
- Avios can sometimes be used to shop for various products and merchandise through the program’s online shopping portal. This includes items such as electronics, fashion, and more.
- Wine and Gourmet Purchases:
- Some programs offer the opportunity to use Avios to purchase wine, gourmet foods, or other items related to culinary experiences.
- Charitable Donations:
- Certain Avios programs allow you to donate your points to charitable organizations. This is a way to contribute to a cause using your accumulated Avios.
- Transfer to Other Programs:
- In some cases, you may have the option to transfer Avios to other loyalty programs or partner programs, providing flexibility in how you use your points.
- Insurance and Travel Services:
- Avios may be used to cover expenses related to travel insurance, airport lounges, or other travel-related services offered through the loyalty program.
- Cruise Bookings:
- Some programs have partnerships with cruise lines, allowing you to use Avios to book a cruise.
Always check the specific terms and conditions of the Avios program you are a part of, as redemption options and values can vary. Additionally, availability for certain redemptions, such as flights or hotel stays, may be subject to blackout dates and capacity controls.